Venice – Master

  • Venezia, Associazione Città Murate del Veneto
  • Venezia, Associazione Città Murate del Veneto
  • Venezia, Associazione Città Murate del Veneto
  • Venezia, Associazione Città Murate del Veneto
  • Venezia, Associazione Città Murate del Veneto
  • Venezia, Associazione Città Murate del Veneto
  • Venezia, Associazione Città Murate del Veneto
  • Venezia, Associazione Città Murate del Veneto
  • Venezia, Associazione Città Murate del Veneto
  • Venezia, Associazione Città Murate del Veneto

Historical Highlights

Venice, founded on the lagoon and of course water protection, in medieval times was only equipped with a network of watchtowers along the borders of Dogado, Laguna against the limit e Terraferma, from the mouth of the Adige to the Livenza. After the defeat at the hands of the Genoese in the war of Chioggia (1377-1381), Venice began to take greater account of the defense of the openings that connected the lagoon and the sea, and presided over the main entrance to the port at the Lido, with the erection of two opposing castles S. Nicolò al Lido and S. Andrea all Vignole.
With this budget the Republic came up to the War of Cambrai, after which he decided to organize the defense of the lagoon and the heart of Venice, with the following works:
- at the mouth of the port of Lido: forti S. Andrea (1543-1571) Michele Sanmicheli, e S. Nicholas (1546-1574) Julius Savorgnans;
- at the mouth of the port of Chioggia: Forte S. Happy (1586);
- in defense of the beaches: octagons Caroman, S. Peter, Alberoni, Bell and Poveglia (Seventeenth century);
- at the mouth of Malamocco: strong Alberoni and S. Peter, of 1646.

Monuments

In addition to the classic beauties of Venice:
- Armed with the Posts.
- Fort of St. Nicholas (not open).
- Forte S. Andrea (Committee for information Charterhouse Phone: 368 3206846).
- Tower Massimilania.
- Reduced Mazzorbo (visited by appointment).
- The Arsenale (visited by appointment).
- Forte Marghera (open on the first Sunday of each month and by appointment).
- Forte Bazz (open the first Saturday and Sunday of the month and by appointment).
- Forte Carpenedo (open the first Saturday and Sunday of the month and by appointment).
- Forte Gazzera (open the first Saturday and Sunday of the month and by appointment).
- Forte Tron (open the first Saturday and Sunday of the month and by appointment).

Events

- Carnival.
- Feast of the “without” – Ascension Sunday.
- The “Redeemer” – 3 Saturday and Sunday of July.
- Historical Regatta – 1First Sunday of September.
- Festa della Salute – 21 November.
- Festivals and other events, please visit the website of the City.

Inner-city

The defenses of the inlets, coastlines and Laguna:
This path to the discovery of the defensive system of the lagoon can be done by boat, or by bike, car or bus with frequent ferry ferry-boat. Before arriving in Chioggia, crossed by the Romea road and railway, you can see the traces of the moat and rampart of the fort Brontolo, which was quadrangular, with four bastions pentagonal. Once in Chioggia, from Piazzetta Vigo, at the end of the course of the People, begin your adventure at sea. In defense of the mouth of Chioggia is located Forte S. Happy, Already Castle Lova, owned by the military property, but is in the process of signing an agreement for guided tours, for information: Committee for the Fort San Felice, such. 330/483881), with plant irregular polygon. From the mouth of the harbor to Pellestrina, you can see the Fort Caroman, now abandoned and visible among the vegetation) the right hand, on the coast, and on the left the Octagon Caroman, who kept watch on the internal channels of the lagoon. The Pellestrina a natural barrier to the mouth of Malamocco, protected by Forte S. Peter, now used as a rest home), Octagon S. Peter, on the left, at the village of the) and from Forte Alberoni, sulla skilful all'estremità Lido, now used as a golf course). Following the coastal strip inside the lagoon, are identified on the left, octagons Alberoni, Abandoned or bell and Poveglia, near the namesake island. At the mouth of the port of Lido, on the right there is the Fort S. Nicholas, of which the Reduced built by the Austrians in the mid-800. is not visited for more information: Cooperativa Sociale The City of the Sun, such. 041/5316476). Front, on the island of St. Andrew, Forte is the S. Andrea, for information: Comitato Certosa and S. Andrea, such. 368/3206846). Further, in a straight line to the mouth of the harbor, stands, on the island of S. Erasmo, Tower Massimiliana, built in battery circulated among the 1830 and the 1840 modeled on those designed by the Archduke Maximilian of Austria. Not far away, a nord, is the island of New Lazaretto, visited by appointment, for information: Archeoclub d’Italia, such. 041/2444011), used until the nineteenth century for health functions. On the island of Mazzorbetto, near Burano, is the reduced Mazzorbo, visited by appointment, for information: AGESCI, such. 041/5289515), in its present form created by the Italian Kingdom of 1909 the area of ​​the Monastery of S. Eufemia. You take the ferry to the Arsenal, visited by appointment, for information: Military Maritime Studies Institute, such. 041/2709301), to the right of the island of S. Pietro di Castello, ancient bishopric and then patriarchal, perhaps, by name, time fortificata. The shipyard dates back to the twelfth century and is surrounded by crenellated walls; it constitutes, in Venice, a separate fortress, enclosing the harbor and at the same time factory. From the train station or from Piazzale Roma (where is the bus station), through the lagoon bridge, you reach Mestre, hence you can go by car or bicycle to visit the forts of the Mainland.
The defense of the bridgehead in the Mainland:
The construction of forticazioni designed to protect in the event of an invasion from the western side reaffirms the principles of strategic change occurred during the nineteenth century: before the safeguard of the city, now interested in defending the railroad, connected to the vital fortress of Verona. The tour starts at the beginning of the lagoon bridge, where, along the canal that leads to Mestre, is the Forte Marghera, open on the first Sunday of each month and on other dates by appointment, for information on this loud and strong on Bazzera, Add Carpenedo Gazzera: Marco Polo System, such. 041/5321243). A card is the powder keg of the twentieth century Forte Bazzera, open the first Saturday and Sunday of the month and on other dates by appointment). Heading north we note, in Via Vallon, il Forte Carpenedo, open the first Saturday and Sunday of the month and on other dates by appointment), which have been reconstructed military circles of the late nineteenth century. The Master, in your Brendole, on the road leading to Aprilia, is the Fort Gazzera, open the first Saturday and Sunday of the month and on other dates by appointment), in a more advanced position towards the north-west. On the south-western line, instead, near Myrtle, Colombara in via the Marghera, stands the pentagonal Forte Tron, open the first Saturday and Sunday of the month and on other dates by appointment, for information: Cooperative Limosa, Tel.: 041 932003).

Useful links

www.comune.venezia.it