Conveniently located between Padua and Ferrara, in 602 the Byzantine castrum Mons Silicis falls into the hands of the Lombard king Agilulfo, as told by Paul the Deacon in his Historia Longobardorum, first written over the area.
In 1237 was taken by Ezzelino III da Romano, vicar of the Emperor Frederick II in the Veneto, on what you ordered extensive fortification works and makes it the basis of violent military campaigns against Padua, Este and the nearby castles. From 1338 to the 1405 is governed by Carrara, lords of Padua, which consolidate and complement the yard Ezzelino: an outer ring of crenellated walls punctuated by strong towers enclosing a castle floor and four concentric rings on the hill up to the imposing tower on top. The long and prosperous Venetian period marks the abandonment of the military vocation in favor of agricultural development, industrial (extraction, filatura) and commercial.
- Tower or Keep Federiciano (Sunday from 15,00 to 19,00 – Tuesday through Sunday mornings by appointment for groups of at least 5 people).
- Civic Tower or Clock (visited only externally).
- Monumental Complex of St. Paul.
- Castle (from March to November – Tuesdays to Sundays – 9,00 – 10,00 11,00 14,00 – 15,00 – 16,00 with daylight saving time 9,00 – 10,00 – 11,00 – 15,00 – 16,00 – 17,00).
- Walls Carrara (only visible externally).
- Villa Nani (not open).
- Pieve di Santa Giustina (old cathedral) (from 1 April of 1 November – daily from 9,00 to 12,00 and by 15,00 to 18,00 . July and August from 9,00 to 12,00 and by 16,00 to 19,00).
- Jubilee Sanctuary of the Seven Churches (from March to October – daily from 8,00 to 19,00 – Sunday from 8,00 to 19,30 – From November to January – daily from 9,00 to 17,30).
- Church of St. George (from March to October – daily from 8,00 to 19,00 – Sunday from 8,00 to 19,30 – From November to January – daily from 9,00 to 17,30).
- Villa Duodo (not open to the internally).
- Villa Emo (visit the garden – spring and autumn – Sundays and holidays dfalle 10,00 to 19,00 – for groups by appointment at the 0429 781987 and 781970).
- Ca 'Bertana (not open).
- Giostra della Rocca – between the first and third Sunday of September.
- Monselice in fiore – in May.
- The flavors eno – October / November.
- All Saints' Fair – 1° novembre.
Coming into town from the north meet the city walls when opened out or Port St. Anthony Padua. The boundary continues uninterrupted to the right until the gap corresponding to the disappearance Porta della Giudecca, memory of the Jewish presence in the city, and again until the Civic Tower or Clock, direct access to Piazza Mazzini. The scenic stretch turreted shows a typical shape of Carrara in trachyte interspersed with brick corsature. From this perspective you have a clear vision of the ancient defensive structure urban, only partially damaged by the intense mining activity responsible for the transformation of the profile of the mountain above the northwestern side. Crossing Piazza Mazzini we reach the church of San Paolo, ancient religious heart of the city, and the Castle, site at the foot of the slope, fusion of structures built at a later date: the massive tower Ezzelino (XIII sec.), the castle and the Romanesque house (XI-XII Secolo), the addition of Marcello (XV sec.). Walking along Via del Santuario encounter left Villa Nani, beautiful building late Renaissance and, a little further to the right, the church of Santa Giustina, built in 1256 Late Romanesque Padua.
Six votive chapels leading to the monumental complex of Villa Duodo, by the architects Scamozzi (1590) e Tirali (1720). In 1605 the Duodo get the privilege of a plenary indulgence to pilgrims visiting the Seven Chapels, now officially recognized seven basilicas of Rome - Romanis basilicis peers - as the inscription on the Porta Romana, entrance to the sacred area. In place of the castle of St. George stands today, the Oratory of San Giorgio or the Saints, custodian of the remains of twenty-five martyrs translated at different times from the Roman catacombs.
The staircase at the side of monumental exedra dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi leads to the imposing tower of Frederick on top of the hill, surrounded by fortifications dating layered tracks, in the oldest parts, all’epoca longobarda. Going back down to the Pieve di Santa Giustina, onto the alley staircase, you reach the church of San Martino, founded in the eleventh century and rebuilt in 700. A long way back gusset and Santarello you arrive at the gate of the former Port Vallesella. Lungo via Cadorna, or coming in on via Carboni and Pellegino, parallel to the now vanished southern perimeter of the walls, you get to Piazza San Marco. Finally, an integral part of the western perimeter wall, visible along the inside lane of the Walls, connecting the tower to the Clock Tower square Ossicella, us back in Piazza Mazzini.