Appreciate

  • Lazise, Associazione Città Murate del Veneto

Historical Highlights

The old “Lasitium” was probably a Roman settlement, fortified in the tenth century according to the wishes of Berengar I antiungarica. Le mura, existing, are attested by the diploma of Otto II. In 1193, under the City of Verona, the port was equipped and strengthened the defenses. Under the Scaligers, the center, in a strategic position, became one of the most important ports for control of Lake Garda. From this period the walls, rearranged on the perimeter of the former by Alberto della Scala in the early Middle Ages 1329 and subsequently by Mastino II. The walls were interspersed with twenty towers shielded and protected from 3 door. The castle, erected between 1375 and the 1381, belongs to the complex of defensive works of the Verona, started by Cansignorio and concluded by Antonio, the last of the Scala.

Monuments

- Scaliger Castle (for guided tours contact GCT El Vissinel Phone:340 8258834).
- Mura Scaligere (externally visible).
- Dogana Veneta (Villa Veneta) (visit sternum – to visit inside agree with Cultural Office).
- Church of Saints Zeno and Martin (open before and after the religious ceremonies).
- Church of St. Nicholas at the Port (from 8,00 to 17,00).
- Church of Saints Fermi and Rustic (being restored).
- Villa La Pergolana (for guided tours contact GCT El Vissinel Phone: 340 8258834).
- Corte Saline (for guided tours contact GCT El Vissinel Phone: 340 8258834).
- Court of Mondragon (for guided tours contact GCT El Vissinel Phone: 340 8258834).
- Villa La Bottona (for guided tours contact GCT El Vissinel Phone: 340 8258834).
- Villa Bagatta (for guided tours contact GCT El Vissinel Phone: 340 8258834).
- Court of Montinghel (for guided tours contact GCT El Vissinel Phone: 340 8258834).
- Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Snows (open before and after the religious ceremonies).
- Villa of the Cedars (for guided tours contact GCT El Vissinel Phone: 340 8258834).
- Court of Palu Mori (for guided tours contact GCT El Vissinel Phone: 340 8258834).
- Court Boari the Sacco (for guided tours contact GCT El Vissinel Phone: 340 8258834).
- Villa De Beni (for guided tours contact GCT El Vissinel Phone: 340 8258834).
- Villa Giuli (for guided tours contact GCT El Vissinel Phone: 340 8258834).
- Court Fontana Fredda (for guided tours contact GCT El Vissinel Phone: 340 8258834).

Events

- Reenactment of the Grant to the City of Lazise privilege of Otto II – first weekend in May.
- Festa di S.Lucia – 8 December.
- National Fair “The days of honey” – first weekend of October.
- View market “The oil of the Lake” – last weekend of October.

Inner-city

From the parking lot, which is located south of the city walls, approaching the turreted walls, shows on the left the Castle with the high tower (Oggi Villa Bernini Buri, private residence not open). The complex, which occupies the south-west side of the city wall, was formed by two adjacent rectangular enclosures, once protected by a moat, buried today, and interspersed with six towers each. The fences hosted the parade ground and, protected by a rampart, the port, dove and Epoca Veneta, were hospitalized two armed galleys, for controls daziari. Two ravelins chamber, one behind the keep and the other of the intermediate tower, with double doors and drawbridge on the moat, protected access, to the city and outward. Before entering the village, it is worth noting from the public park on the right, the best stretch of the city walls. This green space is identified with medieval lawn of St. Daniel, where the emperors of the Holy Roman Empire encamped armies came from the Val d'Adige. Entering from the Lower Gate or Lion, the Lion of St. Mark affixed by the Serenissima, who conquered from Lazise 1405), protected by a time lunette with double drawbridge, go along the road that runs along the left wall of the Villa Bernini Buri and accompanied by the towers of the Castle, you come to the small dock today, overlooking the lake where the Renaissance building of the Customs, former headquarters della dogana veneta, whose porch was originally founded in the lake. On the right side of the harbor stands the church of S. Nicholas, which dates from the twelfth century, with the apse of 1595, the bell tower of XVIII century, and within frescoes. Once in Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, which overlooks the town hall, continue straight on the road between the buildings leads to the Porta Nuova, built in 1376 Cansignorio on the north side of the walls, obtained in a Torresino and almost certainly a time protected by a drawbridge over the moat barbican. We return for a short distance back, to immediately take the road to the left and then take the right path, that, against the abitato, runs parallel to the eastern curtain wall. The chi, turning left, you will come out in front of the parish church, which is located to the right of the Upper Gate or S. Zeno, coeval plant early medieval, once a drawbridge. From here we take a charming street on the right, which follows from the perimeter wall, until you reach the door of the Lion, where you will soon return to the parking.

Useful links

www.lazisecomune.it