The evolution of the fortifications of the city of Bassano del Grappa was accomplished over a period of four centuries, dall'XI al XIV, before the advent of Venetian rule, that no significant changes wrought. It can be summed up in three stages: the erection of the Castle, surrounded by a circle of walls, attributed to the Ezzelini and of which we know from 1175; the construction of a defensive wall between the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, that was connected to the perimeter of the Castle, girdling also the villages that developed in the south and east, with towers and 4 door, surrounded by a moat and whose few remains are now incorporated in later buildings; the construction of the second ring of walls, extended further to the south and east and to the south by the Lower Castle Defense, attributed by tradition to Gian Galeazzo Visconti in 1389, but erected at the beginning of the fourteenth century by the Carrara.
- Tape Mura XIV secolo. – Palazzo Sturm. – Old Bridge. – Upper Castle. – Cathedral. – Granda door or Chime. – Porta delle Grazie. – Torre Civica. – Loggia del Comune. – Quarterdeck of the White Tower. – Porta dei Leoni Dieda or. – Pawnshop. – Praetorian Palace. – Church of San Donato.
- Opera Estate Festival – during the months of July and August – various locations. – The Ballata the Millennio – biennial – last ten days of September. – Salta rises saltimbanco – biennial – September in odd-numbered years. – Carnival Bassano – lasts about a month before Mardi Gras. – Fireworks competition - second Saturday in October.
The city tour starts walking away and then Bastion Porto di Brenta, from where you can see parts of the walls of the fourteenth century, with a tower of Angola. On the open space at the end of the street there were once the square of the harbor with its pier, the defensive system and the Door Brenta; here comes also a variant of the path under construction by the City, which provides for the passage of the Ponte della Vittoria, the continuation of street Slaughterhouse and then crossing the Brenta boat. On the square contemplates the eighteenth century Palazzo Sturm, which incorporates a section of the wall ezzeliniane. Through a ladder, continue along the main street Ferracina, which leads quickly to the Ponte Vecchio. Over the bridge, develops the village Angarano. Worth a visit to the Church of S. Donato and it is recommended that a short continuation on the right bank of the Brenta, to enjoy a privileged view of the bridge and city, of which includes the defense system, Castles with the two connected by the curtain wall. Recrossed the bridge, continue due to leg; You will arrive in Piazza del Terraglio, sort sull'interramento, at the beginning of the '200, the moat of the first fortification urbica and following the demolition of the south side of the outer wall of the Upper Castle, once protected by a double wall (parts of which remain 2 towers and the Tower of Ser Ivano). You enter the castle through Gate Granda, or Gate Chime. Inside the walls of the castle is the Cathedral, whose origin dates back to the 998, but altered several times. It then follows the path of the external walls, passing to the north-east to Port of Grace, to fit on a Bridge, on the site of the door of the Reformed. The heart of the city consists of contiguous squares Garibaldi and Freedom: on the front overlooking the Civic Tower, which was to form the southeast tower of the now non-existent prior to walls, and on the opposite side of the thirteenth-century Church of S. Francis, con former convent, Today the Museum. In Freedom Square promises the frescoed loggia of the City. With two brief digressions visiting, in Via Matteotti, the keep of the White Tower, and then the Praetorian Palace, and the Mount of Mercy of the '400, in the square Montevecchio. From Freedom Square, continue on Via Roma, which leads to the Porta dei Leoni Dieda or, open in the 1541, once contiguous to the now non-existent Lower Castle, built in 1315 in defense of the road from Padua and Citadel. Taking off Mure's Bastion, you go on the site of the disappearance of Angel Gate, the only dal 1315 open on the south side.