In 1185 Verona City Council decided to establish “Villa Francha”, in defense of the southern boundary, against Mantova, and to colonize the wild country. The name comes from the exemption granted to the inhabitants from taxes on goods. Born in military retained this function throughout the centuries until its annexation to the Kingdom of Italy. Nel XIV secolo, renovated and expanded the Castle of Villafranca di Verona of the Scala opera, the village became the cornerstone of the great southern fortification system, say “Menagerie La Scala” (1345-1359).
- Scaliger Castle (ask for a visit to the Municipal Library).
- Palazzo Gandini Bugna – ora Bottagisio (ask for a visit to the Municipal Library).
- Oratorio di San Rocco (ask for a visit to the parish of SS. Peter and Paul).
- Discipline or Church of the Visitation (ask for a visit to the parish of SS. Peter and Paul).
- Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul (ask for a visit to the parish of SS. Peter and Paul).
- Church of the Capuchin Friars (ask for the visit to the Monastery).
- Antiques Market – 2° sabato del mese.
- Carnival at Night – February.
- Summer at the Castle – from June to August.
- Fair of Saint Peter and Saint Paul – end of June.
- Showcase of Bacchus - July.
- Novello Festival - November.
- Christmas Fair - December.
- Living Nativity - December / January.
- For events consult the website of the Municipality or contact the Tourist Office.
Arriving in the city, you can still observe the ancient urban planning, on three parallel streets laid with longitudinal course. The system was based on an administrative structure and land, that divided the territory batch, characterized by houses facing the streets, that surround the farms. The tour begins on the north-west of the castle with a square, high on an artificial, place south of the, at the consular Postojna. You enter through the front door, on the north-east, protected from rivellino, and you can see the Rocchetta, original core place in the middle of the northern side, con l’alto mastio, and originally surrounded from the large moat that separated it from Place d'Armes. This time they gathered militias responsible for the defense of the border Scala, closed by the large quadrangular enclosure turreted, interspersed with seven towers shielded. It comes from the south gate and then there is the moat of the river Tione, passed the point where the Seraglio La Scala. With the construction of this work the Medieval Castle of Villafranca became the cornerstone of the long wall towered, now almost completely disappeared, which barred the plain to the south, Mincio from the marshes at Villafranca (location Gazol). With his back to the Castle, go along the rampart to the left, until you return to the parking lot. From here turn right in via Rizzini is on the left the church of the Capuchin Friars. Back on the road to Verona, a little further, Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, on the right, we find the Church of the Visitation of the Discipline or, the oratory of San Rocco on the facade of which are still visible frescoes of the school of Morone and the Palladian dome of the eighteenth century that is a copy of the Church of the Redeemer in Venice.